"Did you tackle that trouble that came your way
With resolute heart and cheerful?
Or hide your face from the light of day
With craven soul and fearful?
Oh, a trouble's a ton, a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it,
And it isn't the fact the you're hurt that counts,
But only, how did you take it?
~
You are beaten to the earth? Well, well, what's that?
Come up with a smiling face.
It's nothing against you to fall down flat ,
But to lie there - that's disgrace.
The harder you're thrown, the harder you bounce;
Be proud of your blackened eye!
It isn't the fact that you're licked that counts,
It's how did you fight - and why?
~
And though you should be done to death, what then?
If you battled the best you could,
If you played your part in the world of men,
Why, the Critic will call it good.
Death comes with a crawl, or comes with a pounce,
And whether he's slow or spry,
It isn't the fact that you're dead that counts,
But only how did you die?"
~Edmund Vance Cook
* * *
Persevero,
Scribe



That poem is just beautiful. It brought tears to my eyes. I'll definitely need to print the poem and put it in my Bible. Sure I will read it real often in the next few weeks.
ReplyDeleteScribe, you do such an awesome job. I'm proud of you.
HUGS,
Memaw
Hey Scribe!!!! I just wanted to post again. I love the poem. It was very heart touching. And it really makes you think on how you should take on the day. Your doing a great job on the blog! I can't wait to see some of your reviews. I love you all.
ReplyDeleteSigned,
Off Brand
Scribe,
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to tell you how much I love this poem "How Did You Die?". I printed out the poem and have put in on our refrigerator so that we can be reminded everyday how to respond to troubles, and difficulties.
Thank you for sharing this poem with us.
Love,
Aunt C