Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Created for Work ~ Ch. 2 "Confidence"

In this chapter of "Created for Work", Bob Schultz adresses a problem which, if not dealt with, can greatly hinder us in our efforts to accomplish things in life: it's called "lack of confidence". The quote at the beginning of Chapter 2 is so true: "All our fret and worry is caused by calculating without God."

All of us have probably at one time or another struggled with this issue. Sometimes when I'm participating in a tomahawk and knife competition, fear of messing up during a key throw will nag at my mind. Sometimes when I'm working on an important job around the house or yard, the thought of doing something the wrong way will creep into my thoughts. Even in things such as resolving to have a godly attitude throughout a tough day - even in things like that, lack of confidence will try to get a foothold, discouraging me and making me think, "Sorry, Lord, but I really just don't think I can do it."

Lack of confidence can most often be linked to lack of faith. It's saying, "Lord, I just don't trust you enough to believe that you will guide me as I compete in this championship, that you'll help me as I cut this 2x4, or that you will help me have the right attitude through a tough day. Sorry, but I just don't trust you that much."

Schultz says, "When a Christian begins to lose confidence, it's often because he's lost sight of God's control. False, fearful ideas creep into his mind where thoughts of safety and courage belong. He starts to think that events happen by chance instead of under the watchful eye of God."

This is wrong. How come we say that we trust God completely, but our thoughts, actions, and words reflect that we do not? How come we pray, "Christ Jesus, you are in control and I trust you" and then turn around and show that we really didn't mean a word of what we just said? The reason we do that is because we are sinful, fallen, human beings. But as Christians, we are also Children of the Living God, and we should behave as such. The Bible says, "For the Lord shall be thy confidence, and shall keep thy foot from being taken." (Proverbs 3:26) and "For God hath not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." (II Timothy 1:7)

Schultz reminds us of the first step to overcoming lack of confidence: "Instead of struggling, running, crying, or hiding, stop; quietly open your heart to God. There is a tendency in all of us to run when we get scared. Running only increases trouble (see Isaiah 30:15-16)... returning to the simple belief that God is in control, telling Him every detail of my trouble and resting in His care is the greatest source of my confidence."

Sometimes, Schultz goes on to say, a person will lose confidence as a result of a being away from a certain task for a prolonged period of time: like a workman who's had an injury and has been absent from work for a while, or a student resuming school at the end of a summer break. In cases like these, it may just take some time to get back into the swing of things. Begin working with faith, trusting God to help you polish up your skills once more. "If you can't actually do the work, read about it and mentally go through the processes. Clean your tools. Be ready to start again when the oppurtunity arises."

Schultz ends by saying, "God desires His people to live with poise. When you find yourself backing away from your responsibilities because of fears, stop struggling. Tell Him the details of your trouble. Rest. Take the next step you know to take."
We must learn to trust God as being all-sufficient for our needs. We must go forward, in faith, knowing that God will help us through whatever task is ahead of us, whether it be physical or spiritual. As an old hymn states so clearly,
***
"Trust and Obey,
For there's no other way,
To be happy in Jesus,
But to Trust and Obey."
***
Persevero,
Scribe

4 comments:

  1. Hi Scribe,
    First of all, the picture is awesome. It is so true when we trust in God, we can conquer whatever we try to do. Like - when I have my knee surgery, I need to put my trust and faith completely in God, knowing He will be right there with me and the surgeons. When I say "I'm petrified" the two just don't go together. Guess you will need to keep me in line. Your posts truly amaze me. Are you sure you're only 14?????
    Love you,
    MEMAW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Scribe,
    I read Chapter 2-"Confidence" last night.I really enjoyed the chapter, it made some really great points. After I read the chapter I formulated my thoughts on the word Confidence. Confidence is knowing by faith, and trust that God is in control over every aspect of our lives. There is no room for fear.I looked up the word Confidence in the dictionary- one of the meanings is self-reliance, which is contradictive to the meaning of a Christian's confidence. SELF RELIANCE IS THE WAY, WE AS CHRISTIANS LOSE OUR CONFIDENCE.
    My favorite paragraph is the one in which Schultz closes the chapter, beginning with "God desires his people to live with poise".I think poise is the perfect word to describe Christians who have confidence.
    The bible verse from Timothy(1:7) is an excellent verse to commit to memory for times when we experience fear caused from a lack of confidence.
    I wanted to mention your quote from the Commonplace Book! Groucho Marx explained Politics perfectly. I have been thinking of that quote the last couples days, and applying it to all of the political shenanigans going on today!
    I read your Creed, and I am proud of the Godly young man that you are. Your insights are mature, and provide a learning experience for all who follow your blog.
    Love,
    TTA
    P.S. The picture of the mountain is breathtaking. Between the Mountains, and the Sea, I will always pick the Mountain for their majesty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scribe....you never cease to amaze me....when I see the maturity with which you pen thses thoughts and insights! You have truly allowed God to show the fruits of "study to show theyself approved, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed...(II Tim 2:15" you can tell you ingest the thoughts and words that you read. The lesson on confidence and sharpening our faith skills was very timely for Thank you so much for your commitment to reading these books and building your own skills for spirtiual warfare and being able to share them with us. Keep it coming Scribe!!

    Love,
    MIchele

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Scribe!!! I love the post on confidence. It is so very true. sometimes I fell like I dont want to try and do something. Its because I fell like I might not be able to do it. But I always try to remember my favorite passage " I can do all things througe Christ who strengthens me"(Phil.4:13). I love you all.

    signed, The guy who knows you know me.

    ReplyDelete