Thursday, October 8, 2009

Created for Work ~ Chapter 11 "Initiative"

Sometimes, as I'm working on a project around the house, my youngest sister Elisabeth assumes the role of my assistant. If I'm replacing light bulbs in the ceiling, she'll usually stand at the foot of the ladder pointing her little fingers upwards, and (more often than not) trying to climb up the ladder after me. If I'm building a new bookshelf, she'll seat herself close by the tool bag and give me instructions on how to put the thing together. She even understands the role tools play in the job. When I ask for the hammer, she picks it up (with grunt or two for emphasis) and plops it in my hand. When I need nails, she selects a few, warns me in toddler lingo not to drive one through my finger, and hands them over. She also likes to give me things even before I ask for them. Sometimes I'll turn around and find that she's already made a pile of different tools at my back. Even as young as two years old, she's learning to take initiative...
~
At the beginning of Chapter 11 in Created for Work, Bob Schultz gives us a quote by a man named Samuel Ewig. It divides people into three basic categories when it comes to work... 


"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all."


Of course, as Christians, we are neither called to turn up their noses as work nor to entirely neglect it. We are called to turn up our sleeves. But there's an aspect of 'turning up our sleeves' that we often overlook... it's called initiative, and if you ask today's average worker what it is, he'll look at you as if you're talking Swahili. 
~
In an age when sluggards and bad workers are increasingly abundant, a man who does every single thing required him is considered by many to be a dream come true. But is God impressed by such a worker? Schultz points out that "In God's eyes, only doing everything you are commanded to do is the base line, the starting point. Jesus said, 'So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do'."
~
So, only doing what you are required doesn't cut it in God's eyes. He considers such a worker to be "unprofitable". That considered, what does a Christ-honoring worker look like? For one thing, he not only does all that is required of him, he does more than is required of him. He takes initiative - goes the extra mile - doesn't stop at the bare minimum - doesn't say, "Well, I've done everything that I was told to do, so there". 
~
God, the supreme example for all workers, takes initiative. He often blesses us abundantly even before we ask Him to. He may undertake to teach us a lesson before we know that we need one. He protects us from many things we may not even know exist.
~
Of course, initiative must be balanced with prudence, or we can get into trouble. You want to make sure that whatever job your doing is in accordance with the wishes of your boss. If you rashly jump into something, you may end up giving your boss a headache instead of making his day.
~
And remember - initiative isn't something only for the workplace. It should be applied in all areas of your life - at home, during lessons, at your friend's house. "Wherever you go," says Schultz, "look for what needs to be done and do it."
~
"And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear." ~ Isaiah 62:24


* * *
Persevero,
Scribe


 Get your own copy of Created for Work here

    4 comments:

    1. Good post, Scribe. Sounds like Elisabeth is learning to take the initiative in helping you. So many young people today have no initiative and sad to say, nothing is accomplished. I'm proud of you and your posts. Keep up the good work, and continue to let your sister learn from you.!!!

      Love,
      Memaw

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thank you for the reminder to go the extra mile. It's easy to get into a rut of just doing the job without putting in something extra, especially as a Mom who is doing the same tasks over and over. Great connections, son. I love to read what you have to say!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Hey Scribe!!As Queen Mom said Thank you for the reminder. keep up the great posts.

      Love,
      Eggs

      P.S. Great initiative! HaHa!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Nice post, bro! Thanks for the reminder! :)

      ReplyDelete