Thursday, September 9, 2010

The 5 Best Sci-Fi Films Ever Made...

The Matrix (1999)
R
As one critic aptly noted, "... [The Matrix] is much more than an out-and-out action yarn; it's a thinking man's journey into the realm of futuristic fantasy." Fusing a one-of-a-kind premise with mind-blowing special effects (most notably "bullet-time"), this is a classic film that sci-fi fans will not want to miss. And there's plenty to think about long after the credits have finished rolling. Biblical themes - such as Original Sin - are easily found beneath the enthralling storyline.


You take the blue pill, the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.”


I Am Legend (2007)
PG-13
I've seen this one a total of four times now... and after each viewing, I still come to the same conclusion: I Am Legend is an under-appreciated gem in the realm of science fiction. Not only is the story smart and compelling, but along the way it raises some really fascinating questions about the nature of sin and redemption. Another plus is director Francis Lawrence's extraordinary, computer-generated rendering of a decaying Manhatten, NY. As for Will Smith, he turns in a remarkable performance as the lonely but determined Robert Neville. I'm honestly surprised he didn't get an Oscar nomination.

"I'm listening..."


Minority Report (2002)
PG-13
Set in the chillingly possible future of 2054, Minority Report easily ranks as one of the most intelligently provocative sci-fi thrillers you'll ever see. Period. The premise - intriguing and eerie at the same time - is top-notch. That said, there are several tastelessly indecent scenes which definitely ought to be edited. Viewer discretion advised.


"You know I can't see without my glasses..."



I, Robot (2004)
PG-13

In addition to thrilling action-sequences, stunning visuals, and a clever script, I, Robot leaves the viewer with some serious food for thought, and should give pause to anyone who thinks that technology is free of ethical or moral questions. 


"So we have robots building robots? Now that's just stupid."




The Road
 (2009)
R
The Road is a disturbing yet poignant post-apocalyptic tale that's genuinely hard to watch sometimes, even if you have a strong stomach . On the one hand, it presents with gritty realism the wickedness that the depraved man is naturally inclined to (the scenario with the cannibals is more realistic than we'd care to admit). On the other hand, it is also an incredibly powerful story of a father's fierce love for his son. Should be required viewing for older male audiences.


"Even if you knew what to do, you wouldn't know what to do."



Persevero,



No comments:

Post a Comment