"Books and friends should be few, but good." Patrick Henry
"When I am dead, I hope it may be said, though his sins were scarlet, his books were read." Hilaire Belloc
"A library is not a luxury, but a necessity." Henry Ward Beecher
"My books are my tools. They also serve as my counsel, my consolation, and my comfort. They are my source of wisdom and the font of my education. They are my friends and my delights. They are my surety, when all else is awry, that I have set my confidence in the substantial things of truth and right." C.H. Spurgeon
"The great ancients' writings, beside ours, look like illuminated manuscripts before plain press type." Philip James Bailey
"If you want to write well, read much." ~Benjamin Holmes
"When you sell a man a book you don't sell him just twelve ounces of paper and ink and glue - you sell him a whole new life. Love and friendship and humour and ships at sea by night - there's all heaven and earth in a book, a real book I mean. " Christopher Morley
"I love the smell of book ink in the morning." Umberto Eco
"When I get a little money, I buy books; and if there is any left, I buy food and clothes." Erasmus
"If a book is worth reading, it is worth buying." John Ruskin
"If you cannot read all your books, at any rate handle, or as it were, fondle them - peer into them, let them fall open where they will, read from the first sentence that arrests your eye, set them back on the shelves with your own hands, arrange them on your own plan so that you at least know where they are. Let them be your friends; let them be your acquaintances." Winston Churchill
"Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?" Henry Ward Beecher
"Books, not authors, decide when they want to be written." Lloyd Alexander
"Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx
"Books are the legacies that a great genius leaves to mankind, which are delivered down from generation to generation as presents to the posterity of those who are yet unborn." Joseph Addison
(The majority of these quotations were
taken from The Christian Almanac, edited by
George Grant & Gregory Wilbur)
* * *
Persevero,




Love it! Love it, son! Except now you've given me another thing to do.....get these into my commonplace book. Perhaps I'll just print and paste. :)
ReplyDelete